Monday, February 4, 2008

Nurse Jane

So I decided to clarify what I do, because I don't think even my family understands. This realization came to me when I was asked by a friend if all I do is take care of mentally challenged children. Though there would be nothing wrong with this, it is not what I do. I work in the Newborn-ICU, (Intensive Care Unit) therefore my patients are newborns who are intensely ill. I work at Primary Children's Medical Center which is the referring hospital for any infant needing genetic testing, surgical intervention, or have complex issues. Other Newborn-ICUs in the valley are known for having a feeder-grower population (pre-mature (tiny), just need to feed and grow) or other issues managed through drug therapy or basic ventilation. I deal with all the fun stuff like Necrotizing Enterocolitis, Gastroschesis, Hydorcephalus, Congenital Heart Disease, or Multiple Congenital Anomalies. Usually naturally along with these issues comes Respiratory Distress Syndrome and Feeding Intolerance. Though it may seem like all I get to do is cuddle with babies, this is usually not the case. There is always a barrier, whether it is multiple peripheral lines, ostomy bags, gastric suction, or an endotracheal tube. This job might add a flash of excitement to plain Jane's life. Just the other day I got my first experience of having my patient pull out their ETT (breathing tube) and turn a lovely shade of black that I don't care to see again. At the end of the day I have to say that I love my job! There is nothing that compares to the adrenaline rush of thinking quick and acting fast. Though it is stressful at the time and you are cursing life, when it's all over, you feel like you actually accomplished something. Nursing is a challenge to me but I like challenges. I have noticed amazing strength given to me at work by a higher power during critical times. My testimony of God grows stronger each day!

No comments: